Parish Origins

Parish of Saint Margaret Virgin and Martyr, Sannat Gozo Malta
3
A chapel has stood on this spot since the late middle Ages. Then as now it
was dedicated to Saint Margaret, a virgin martyr
from Anthioch in Pisidia, in modern Turkey. It was certainly functioning in
1575, when it even had a small bell tower and a graveyard in front. The chapel
stood ravages of time and on the 29th April 1688 it was designated the parish
church for the people of Sannat and Munxar. A larger and better church was build
next to the ancient chapel by 1718. Slowly but surely, the parishioners did a
lot to embellish their church, eventually consecrated on 19th October, 1755. It
was further enlarged in the 1860’s and blessed again in 1868. Two bell towers
were built some years later and the majestic dome was raised in 1910. A statue
of Saint Margaret was first brought to Sannat in 1863 and the present beautiful
statue reached the village in 1891. On 19th December 1893 the parish priest was
given the title of Archpriest. On the 12th December 1957, the parish became
“matrice” with the dismemberment of the parish of Munxar.